The adventures of Rob and Carrie

Saturday, April 7, 2012

a SPRING BREAK surprise!!!


OUTER BANKS OR BUST!
Rob asked me on Saturday morning how I felt about taking a little getaway....5 hours later we were packed & ready to go!
Our final destination would be Kitty Hawk, NC
As we drove along I noticed we were 24 feet below sea level, how is that possible?

The Captain & his co-pilot ready to have some fun!
As we were getting into town we noticed a MUST STOP!
RITA'S!!
Do not disturb me. I'm in my happy place!

The day started off cooling and windy but the sun came out so we enjoyed some beach time. We drove along the beach down to Cape Hatteras. We stopped for lunch on a little island which includes: Fort Raleigh where Lost Colony is, Wanchese (were Rob went as a little guy to visit some of Aunt Janice's relatives by marriage), and Manteo. We then continued down Highway 12 to the lighthouse.



Pelicans, we had never seen so many and so up close.

The famous Outer Banks lighthouse, Cape Hatteras. An interesting note about this lighthouse, it was moved from its original location (about 100 yards away) because erosion of the beach from the sea was going to take the lighthouse out to sea.

We did a little kite flying on the beach by the lighthouse. The winds were perfect, not to strong today.


The next morning it was again windy, cool, and cloudy so we headed out to the Wright Memorial. Site of the first powered flight of mankind by Orville and Wilbur Wright.

The picture above shows all of the ship wreaks along the Outer Banks, I was amazed, knew my Dad would enjoy this picture.

A model of the first plane that was used.
The take off point.
The first flight marker.
Second flight marker
3rd flight marker
Fourth flight marker.
The time did not seem long to me until I really thought about flying in a swing, if you try and count how long you are high in the air it's not every long......59 seconds is a LONG time to be off the ground without much padding underneath!
Memorial set atop hill.
My own pilot
View looking down at were the first flights happen. This area was all sand but grass has been planted to the wind does not take this historical spot away.
The building on the right side is the museum, to the left of the walk way is where the stones are in my pictures above.
At the 100th Anniversary this model was made of actually plane with Orville on it.
Behind Rob is the Memorial (in the above pictures), this side next to him is located at the First Flight Airport, Rob used to fly into this airport when he was logging hours in the beginning of this flying career.
LUNCH!!!

Then we were off to Jockey's Ridge, which is a park of sand dunes!
That is Rob.
We walked over the dunes to see the water and for that it was
PERFECT for flying kites!

Rob flying after we walked back up on top of the sand dunes and took out HUGE tangle in our strings!


Above are the marks of me being dragged in the sand!
It was BEAUTIFUL!!
I will just note that I did not enhance color or do anything to the pictures! (I did easer a little spot from the top corner because I had a spot on my lens =0) )

The view from our hotel room, the first morning!
Packing up and heading home..... I was looking for the start over button but I never found one. =0( I didn't want to leave....
Another adventure, kayaking. We spent the morning paddling around the bay west of Kitty Hawk.








Me, when we got home, I forgot about sun screen while out in the kayak, I looked like a red raccoon! The picture on the right is of the Navel base with two aircraft carriers in Norfolk on the way home.


During this trip we both remarked over and over again how blessed we flight to be able to enjoy our Lord's nature. We also found it interesting to see how "man" is/and is trying to stop the wind and sea from moving land! Very fascinating!

What a beautiful trip we had.

No comments:

Post a Comment