The adventures of Rob and Carrie

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Storms

So I have always been a chicken when it comes to thunderstorms. That was the great advantage of moving my room to the basement when I lived with my parents, but alas I don't live in the basement now.
One morning I woke up to some serious loud thunder, enough that it shock our whole house. For some reason I had gotten out of bed and then another loud blast came that made me jump off the floor, I know some of you are thinking, "it doesn't take much"....still it felt a little close!
Anyway, I had then gone to work that day and when I returned home as I walked to the mailbox I noticed that a tree had a spilt down the center all the way to the ground. At the ground there was bark missing. It looked to me that the tree had been struck by lightning and I could see where the lightning had entered and then exited. I also noticed that if the tree fell it could land on our landlord's office. So I went inside and told Gabe about my discovery, he is the one that works in the office and helps me whenever Rob is gone (like changing my tire!). So me & Gabe went out to see the tree, he had not notice the split. Interestingly enough just as we were walking away the tree's spilt became wider and a large branch fell!!!
It was a little bit frightening....but that's when the rest of the story started! For the rest of the night I had to stay home because the next minute I looked out a fire truck was pulling in our drive. I spent the rest of the evening just watching what was going to happen next and keep Mom in Law up to date!! A fireman came to talk with me and make sure I was ok. They put up tape so everyone would stay awhile from the truck.

Later, Gabe came up and told me I should move the truck down below so I could get out in the morning. He told me they couldn't find anyone to come that night and cut it down, everyone was booked because of the storms. About 2 hours later I was talking to Rob's Mom and heard a loud noise, of course I had to go and investigate! A huge part of the tree had fallen as the winds had picked up throughout the evening.
The next morning as I was walking to the truck to go teach I had to finish the story with final pictures. Praise the Lord no one was hurt, no vehicles or buildings either. In the end it was a fun little drama for me to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment