The adventures of Rob and Carrie

Monday, August 6, 2012

First week: Michigan! (Part 1)

Loaded and ready to go!


After a couple days in Grand Rapids we headed north, sorry no pictures from GR (not sure why...)

Rob at the Mackinac Bridge 
(just so you know it's pronounced:  Mack-in-aw)
This is the bridge that connects the Lower Peninsula to the Upper Peninsula (U-P as we call  it).  The Upper Peninsula of Michigan we obtain by Michigan from Ohio, Michigan gave Ohio the city of Toledo in exchange for the Upper Peninsula.  Called the Toledo War in 1836.  Michigan at the time did not want the UP but later would learn of the great deposits of Iron Ore & timber, bringing to the state great reward.
Lighthouse in Mackinaw City
Went back into the city for supper!  Yup, my kind of supper!!
Crossing the Mighty Mac. (Click here to learn more!)
The construction officially begun on May 6 & 7, 1954.  
This 5 mile bridge that opened to traffic on November 1, 1957.





We made it!!
We camped out first night at Tahquamenon Falls State Park


 Can you find the chipmunk?
 The next day we went to the Falls.  
Starting our hike between the Lower Falls and the Upper Falls.
 Lower falls
 Standing in front of the falls.  I was sooooo excited for Rob to be here.  This was my pick, as my favorite camping place as a kid!  Thanks Dad & Mom for bringing me here. 


 Totally enjoying the peace & quiet!

 Can you find the Pike?
 Beaver work!
 First view of the Upper Falls
 Lunch time!

History Hemlock


 On our way back, about a 9 mile trek that day.


 I had to add this picture because I was sitting watching Rob fish and 2 beautiful Sandhill canes eating across the inlet.  (If you are one of Rob's sisters you know, especially if you are Carol, the funny stories of canes.)  Anyway, we had seen maybe Sandhill canes on this trip but these 2 flew right over me, this was the lovely picture I captured.  GOOD GRIEF......  you can probably also imagine that I didn't really like the idea of BIG birds flying over me after they were just feeding..........I'll just left it at that.
Rob fishing at the end of a wonderful day. LOVE this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment